Thank you for your interest in volunteering for the Norfolk Public Library (NPL). We appreciate your willingness to volunteer your services to assist the library, its patrons and the community. Listed below are just a few of the many volunteer opportunities available at NPL. If you would like to volunteer in a group, or would like to discuss other volunteer opportunities, please e-mail NPLVolunteer@norfolk.gov.
Digital, Arts and Technology Mentor
Work Location: Various Library locations
Work Schedule: 4 hours per week, some evenings and weekends preferred.
The Mentor will be part of the team at YOUmedia Norfolk, a new digital learning center for teens. The Mentor is an instructor who guides youth as they explore digital media, arts and library resources. The Mentor is a key member of the program. The Mentor will assist in overseeing the implementation and use of various technologies, create and lead workshops, and serve as a mentor and role model to teens.
- Plan, design, write, schedule and lead workshops and teen project groups in the any of the following Digital, Arts or Technology Areas:
- Music Production
- Video Production
- Graphic Arts
- Fashion Design
- Game Design
- Spoken Word
- Musical Composition
- Creative Writing
Coordinate teen roles as producers, artists, managers, and designers of digital media.
Instruct students in the use of online resources to track their project work
Provides welcoming customer service to all customers.
Keep informed of emerging technologies, current trends, improved programs.
Flexible Schedule; 1-4 hours per week
Qualifications and Competencies Preferred:
- Proficiency in technologies such as music production, video production, graphic design, photography, game design, fashion design, etc.
- Strong commitment to working within a team environment
- Working knowledge of MS Office suite software
- Experience teaching digital media, or experience in a related technological field.
- Knowledge of trends in print and digital library resources for teen patrons.
- Experience using social media technology (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc.)
- Demonstrate sensitivity and commitment to the needs of teens
To apply, click here.