Friends of the Norfolk Public Library
2018 BOOK REVIEW CONTEST
The Friends of the Norfolk Public Library is preparing for its annual Book Review Contest. Students from Norfolk's public and private schools, as well as home-schooled students, submitted over 1,700 reviews in 2017. We hope this year's contest will encourage more reading, writing, and critical thinking, as well as a wider use of the library.
All book reviews must be submitted by Wednesday, March 14, 2018.
Here's how it works:
- Ask students to choose a book they enjoy. Any genre is welcome.
- Students must examine and express their opinions about the plot, setting,
characters, themes or style of the book. Does he/she recommend the book?
Why? A review is not a retelling of the story.
- Judging is based on voice and creative writing. Students will only compete
among their grade level.
- Correct grammar and spelling count!
- Open to all 4-12th grade Norfolk public, private or homeschooled students.
- Must be the student’s own work. One entry per student, please.
- 500 words max; typed or legibly printed.
- A student's name or school SHOULD NOT appear on the review itself so
that entries are anonymous.
- For each entry, please paperclip a 3x5 card to the book review with the
following (typed or clearly printed):
STUDENT'S NAME • SCHOOL • GRADE • TEACHER'S NAME • TITLE OF BOOK
Reviews should be delivered or mailed to:
Mary D. Pretlow Anchor Branch Library
111 W. Ocean View Ave
Norfolk VA 23503
Public school teachers may forward their reviews through the pony system to the English Department downtown in time to meet the March 14 deadline. No reviews will be accepted after the deadline. If you have any questions, please contact Carol King (email@example.com) or Jeanne Bowers (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Elementary students who submit a review will receive a certificate of participation. Award winners will receive a winner’s certificate as well as a gift certificate to Prince Books.
With your participation, this year’s contest promises to be a great success!
Want to make a difference? Donate to the FNPL Book Review Contest!
Checks may be sent to PO Box 3234, Norfolk VA 23510.